Monday, March 21, 2016

World Poetry Day

The blank page stares, mocking me,
Judging the technique I use to chew my pen,
As I imagine what an intellectual picture I present;
Under a tree with a book on my lap, how artistic.
Little does the curious passer-by know,
That Ogden Nash's Candy is Dandy runs through my head,
Playing incessantly on a loop making me hungry.

I wonder if someone will take a picture,
If I'll end up in some exhibition where people will wonder,
If I'd be discussed in some quaint cafe by people in scarves,
Long skirts, loose air, a bandana and sandles.
If they would wonder if I was writing an ode to nature,
Or solving the latest greatest mathematical equation.
If they would guess that I was actually pondering the colour of sugar.

As the green stain of grass seeps into my jeans,
I wonder if I should have worn harem pants instead.
Would the black nail polish qualify me as arty-farty,
Or should I have stuck with the traditional red?
As I sat there chewing on my pen, I twirled the red streak in my hari.
Maybe this would make me belong in a crowd of hipsters,
Away from the box of corporate formals and hidden tattoos.

As I sat there, staring at the blank page,
5 wondered if I would end up in an exhibition,
Where someone else sitting in a park under a tree
Would write about how the 'abnormal' is the new normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment